I'm writing this blog as a journal of my build of a Duo-660 catamaran. Most of the content will be dedicated to this endeavor. I try to populate posts with pictures since it is instructive. The notes tab is for misfit posts. Always nice to have a place for the misfits.

-Esteban

Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Amazing Disappearing Boat Shed Leak

I've been dealing with a bit of a mystery.  Last week I thought my boat shed roof was leaking. I had a fairly even coating of water drops spread over most of the ceiling of the shed.  I figured (hoped) that it was because the tent material wasn't pulled as tight as it could have been (my fault) and there were some areas of standing water on top of the shed.  So yesterday I went out to remedially tighten the shed. Here is the mystery, despite almost constant rain over the last week, the shed ceiling was bone dry.

A couple of notes,
I did leave the heater on in there to assist in curing the epoxy on the first planking sheet. Also although wet it is much warmer this week. So now I think it wasn't leaking I was seeing, it was condensation.  For now I left the heater on a low setting. Longer term I'm not sure how to address.

Also after tightening the tent it still had some areas at one end that could have standing water so I gave it a bit of a peak with a piece of furring strip to prevent any standing water on the roof.


Update: So this was condensation, I've been leaving the heater in the boat shed on at a low setting and problem is solved.

No comments:

Post a Comment