I'm writing this blog as a journal of my build of a Duo-660 catamaran. Most of the content will be dedicated to this endeavor. I try to populate posts with pictures since it is instructive. The notes tab is for misfit posts. Always nice to have a place for the misfits.

-Esteban

Tuesday, December 1, 2015

R4 Carbon Fiber Installation

I am very happy with how this went. Uncharacteristically for me I took some time and set things up carefully and deliberately. Here is a picture of laying out the strips of carbon fiber fabric.


And here is the ready to get started picture.  Since I have the spar already epoxied in place I could do this part on the bench and it was nice to not have to be bent over the entire time as I was when doing this on R1 (it was in the jig).


I couldn't take in process pictures because I didn't want take the time to mess with glove replacement, or risk getting epoxy on my cell phone.  The synopsis is that I took my time and made sure I had each layer well wetted out and well seated on the inside of the rudder faces.  The only drama was on the 3rd layer where one side flopped over and wanted to make a mess.  So I just jammed my gloved hand in there to get it seated correctly.  It wasn't that easy to do with fingers, it would have been impossible with sticks or brushes.  Here is the a picture of the profile as I left it.


Once again, I used almost every clamp I own to close this up.


No comments:

Post a Comment