I'm writing this blog as a journal of my build of a Duo-660 catamaran. Most of the content will be dedicated to this endeavor. I try to populate posts with pictures since it is instructive. The notes tab is for misfit posts. Always nice to have a place for the misfits.

-Esteban

Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Blood, Sweat, And......

Well I haven't cried......yet.  Caught my own thumb in the clamp.



I don't know if its the cold or just trying to get things done quickly, but I have been real clumsy lately. On the upside I got the rudder compressed this morning. And besides all the fumbling around, it went fine. Here is a picture as I left it (warm tent not yet on).


And another of the profile of the rudder underneath all that.


I think I may have not put enough epoxy bead behind the leading edge. The leading edge angle seems a little small. From this point though I think I will get a rudder out of this try.  Also I think I can re-hab R1 with some creative use of filled epoxy putty. If that works out I will have 2 slightly off rudders. I will then have to decide how much of a perfectionist I am, always a dangerous place for me to find myself.

2 comments:

  1. Perfection and home boat building is a hard concept to master. Suspect you will find that your rudders will be fine as is. Since you are building them yourself, nothing stops you from constructing another in a year or so when you have a better feel for the materials you are using though.

    ReplyDelete