I'm writing this blog as a journal of my build of a Duo-660 catamaran. Most of the content will be dedicated to this endeavor. I try to populate posts with pictures since it is instructive. The notes tab is for misfit posts. Always nice to have a place for the misfits.

-Esteban

Saturday, November 21, 2015

Test Rudder 2 a Success!.....Mostly

Thanks to the warm tent the epoxy finally cured and I took TR2 off the jig.  No delaminations, only a single tiny crack that is actually hard to see, and only one problem. First the good picture from the outside.



Now the problem. I'll be the first to admit that I did not do the best job of epoxy coating this closed, and it showed. At midspan the rudder pulled away from the spar in one area.  The good news is that with the rudder off the jig it is easy to clamp this closed and get it tacked down properly with a second go with the epoxy.



This is also different than what I did before with Rudder 1.  On Rudder 1 I epoxied the spar, and the carbon fiber all at once. I think taking this in steps is much better. For one thing it affords an inspection point to fix a spar to rudder joint issue (a problem Rudder 1 showed that I could not fix with the cf installed). And when carbon fiber time does come you can work on a rudder that is not under duress on the jig.

No comments:

Post a Comment