I'm writing this blog as a journal of my build of a Duo-660 catamaran. Most of the content will be dedicated to this endeavor. I try to populate posts with pictures since it is instructive. The notes tab is for misfit posts. Always nice to have a place for the misfits.

-Esteban

Wednesday, November 18, 2015

R.I.P. Rudder #1

OK so this rudder was already less than perfect. But it was going to be my back up. I missed the spar by a few mm when drilling the hole for a bolt. I could continue with this but I would have to rig some kind of way to fill that part of the rudder so water wouldn't just fill up the entire rudder.I think the lesson I learned here is to mark the centerline of the spar on the outside of the rudder faces before glueing up in the jig. The reason being that it is hard to find the edge of the rudder once it is covered in cured epoxy goop.



That is a valid fix, but the truth is this need not have happened had I been more careful. It's really a shame because while not perfect that rudder was really looking good.

No comments:

Post a Comment