I'm writing this blog as a journal of my build of a Duo-660 catamaran. Most of the content will be dedicated to this endeavor. I try to populate posts with pictures since it is instructive. The notes tab is for misfit posts. Always nice to have a place for the misfits.

-Esteban

Monday, November 23, 2015

Cleaning Rudder Boogers

This was a mess, and honestly I wasn't at all sure it was a good idea even to try to clean this up. Turns out partially cured (under hardened) epoxy is very similar to boogers (mucus) only stickier and gummier.  I cut off as much as I could with a utility knife, and then sanded my way to bare wood. The problem was that the epoxy-mucus just filled the sandpaper as if it were tissue.  Here is the picture for those afflicted with morbid curiosity.



I feel good again about my chances to get a rudder out of these parts.  I have them glued in the jig under the warm tent in the garage. I think its nice and toasty in the tent so I should be able to put the first bend in the rudder tomorrow.  That will leave Wednesday to close the rudder before we leave town for the holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment