I'm writing this blog as a journal of my build of a Duo-660 catamaran. Most of the content will be dedicated to this endeavor. I try to populate posts with pictures since it is instructive. The notes tab is for misfit posts. Always nice to have a place for the misfits.

-Esteban

Thursday, June 16, 2016

Cold Rolled 316 Stainless Is Mean Stuff

I was supposed to work on the forward lazarette floor. but as soon as I got outside I started looking for something else to do. And of course the mast step was sitting right in front of me. So I cut down the 316 drift into two pins and drilled the cotter pin holes. Sounds simple right?



I knew that this material would be difficult to cut, and I was right. It took me awhile to remember my milling skills, which consist of lubricate things and go slow.  After many tool changes and some consideration of alternatives, I eventually got through it with an 1/8" carbide mill. 1/8" is a little bigger than I was trying for but it will serve.

Tomorrow: lazarette floor, no really.

No comments:

Post a Comment