I'm writing this blog as a journal of my build of a Duo-660 catamaran. Most of the content will be dedicated to this endeavor. I try to populate posts with pictures since it is instructive. The notes tab is for misfit posts. Always nice to have a place for the misfits.

-Esteban

Saturday, October 17, 2015

Alaskan Yellow Cedar Spars glued to Rudder Faces

I have daylight in my favor so I glued my AYC to two of the rudder faces. Once this cures, (and my ordered materials arrive) I'll be ready to start assembling the rudder on the jig.  Probably can't tell here but I wrapped the end clamps in cellophane to make sure I don't glue the rudder to the clamps.




I have tried, by hand, to bend the plywood along the short side as is required when forming the rudder. It is no easy task. So I have an idea to help clamp these closed on the jig in a "halfway" position to make it easier to install the carbon fiber. I'm go to do a little trig and figure out how wide to make some sticks that will work with the jig.  Picture roughly a 2x4 with one edge cut off at a 33 degree angle. This can then be slid between the angled jig faces and the rudder faces. Here is a little sketch to help.


The red arrows show where a down force could be applied using clamps.  The hope is that with the clamps holding the rudder in a compressed position I will be able to concentrate on getting the carbon fiber installed and wetted out.  I will need to get another pair of the longer reach clamps to do this, and will need some more clamps for closing the rudder as well. Composite brads are of no use here.

No comments:

Post a Comment