I'm writing this blog as a journal of my build of a Duo-660 catamaran. Most of the content will be dedicated to this endeavor. I try to populate posts with pictures since it is instructive. The notes tab is for misfit posts. Always nice to have a place for the misfits.

-Esteban

Thursday, October 15, 2015

Notes on AYC

Since this project is going to take me forever to complete, I have to focus on the little things I'm learning along the way. I milled my Alaskan Yellow Cedar today into 20mm spars for the inside of the rudders.
I knew that AYC has a reputation for being toxic when cut. So I used gloves and my respirator while I had sawdust flying around. I did some more research and it looks like it is an irritant that affects some more than others. I used my gear and vacuumed up the dust and haven't felt any ill effects.  This wood is very soft, it cuts easy and sands down very well. I would say it is about like working with poplar.  I ran out of light early so next trip to the hardware store will see me buying some stand lights. I didn't epoxy the spars to one face of the rudder because I didn't want to do it in the dark and in a rush. Besides I'm still waiting for my micro balloons and carbon fiber to arrive.
 

Getting dark early in Seattle.

No comments:

Post a Comment