I'm writing this blog as a journal of my build of a Duo-660 catamaran. Most of the content will be dedicated to this endeavor. I try to populate posts with pictures since it is instructive. The notes tab is for misfit posts. Always nice to have a place for the misfits.

-Esteban

Sunday, October 4, 2015

Rudder Set Up, A Dry Run For The AMA

I've been out of it for awhile, my wife was sick and then the entire family (including me!) got sick. Which also means my sons birthday party got postponed, which means I'm kicked out of my boat shed for another week.

With that off my chest, I did weasel in a way for me to keep working on my boat. My boat shed is 8 X 24 ft (I love it when I can talk imperial units). My son's party can get by fine with 16 of those feet. So I started setting up rudder construction in the back of the shed.

Here is the rub. My shed is set up in our driveway, our gravel, on an incline, driveway. So my plan for the amas was to pour small concrete footers that I could make level and then set up level lumber "rails" as a base on which to set up the ama build. Since I can't build the rudders in the garage (see previous post) I will set up the rudder jig the way I was thinking of setting up the ama. A little practice won't hurt.

I used 4" PVC pipe fittings for forms, and set them up level as shown.


Then I poured in the concrete and set in joist hangers to hold the 2x4s I plan to used a base to work from.


The two in the foreground will need to go away when its time for the ama. But this way I  can try out my plan before its time to do footers for the ama, and I get to keep working while waiting for my son's birthday party. I just poured the concrete today, I need to give it a day or so to cure.....

No comments:

Post a Comment