I'm writing this blog as a journal of my build of a Duo-660 catamaran. Most of the content will be dedicated to this endeavor. I try to populate posts with pictures since it is instructive. The notes tab is for misfit posts. Always nice to have a place for the misfits.

-Esteban

Saturday, October 24, 2015

Rudder taken off Jig

The good news is I didn't glue the rudder to the jig. The bad news is that I have small gap between the AYC spar and the inside rudder face at one end.


A few thoughts on this; the first is @#!%$!, the next is that I'm not sure how deep this goes.  I built the rudders a couple of inches too long, in case something weird happened at the ends, so I will cut the extra off this end. Then if there is still some gap I will fill with putty. Not a satisfying answer I know, but the rudder is hell for strong, and the rudder housings are built to fit, so I think this will be serviceable in the end. Maybe I shouldn't have removed the wedges when I did. But then I would have glued the rudder to the wedges.  So for rudder #2, I'm planning to cover the rudder side of the wedges with plastic tape.  This may impact the friction lock feature that was so helpful last time but I can work with that by being careful in stepping around the jig with the clamps.

Moving on to rudder #2, I had a much easier time putting the tape on by setting them up like this.


I gave up on making the tape one long piece over the entire length, but that doesn't seem to matter. And doing it this way was really easy, controlled and lacked any stress.


This rudder is set up in the jig now with the bead of epoxy and filler goop applied and curing. So much easier the 2nd time.



No comments:

Post a Comment