I'm writing this blog as a journal of my build of a Duo-660 catamaran. Most of the content will be dedicated to this endeavor. I try to populate posts with pictures since it is instructive. The notes tab is for misfit posts. Always nice to have a place for the misfits.

-Esteban

Thursday, October 8, 2015

Rudder Jig

This is was my last opportunity to work on the boat until next week and things went as well as could have been expected.  I was worried that I was going to chase my tail trying to get the rudder jig base level in both directions. Fortunately I got there using just one shim.



Cutting all the Jig frames did get tedious but I have to put in a shout out to Makita for their track saw. I used melamine covered particle board for the frames and the edges I cut looked better than the ones that came with the material.


Kind of fits into a larger theme that I learn and re-learn, Using the right tool makes a huge difference, both to the outcome achieved and the amount of frustration felt on the way.  Below is the picture of the finished jig.


It will be a few days before I can get back out to the shop. I am planning on doing some detailed posts on the planning and execution of the "feathering" cut that is needed at the close of the rudder faces (still mulling over how to do this).

No comments:

Post a Comment