I'm writing this blog as a journal of my build of a Duo-660 catamaran. Most of the content will be dedicated to this endeavor. I try to populate posts with pictures since it is instructive. The notes tab is for misfit posts. Always nice to have a place for the misfits.

-Esteban

Sunday, October 25, 2015

Latest Thinking on Rigs

Circular thinking is nothing new when it comes to considering how to rig this boat. Here is the thing, I have been looking for a solution that meets my many criteria, is cool, and won't break the bank. What I came up with is carbon masts with a sail track and wishbone booms, or carbon masts with a cantilevered arched composite boom. Either one of which might include a rotating mast.  Neither one of these exactly screams affordability.

Have you ever found yourself watching a game or a race or some event in which you are not really interested, but you are watching anyway, And as you watch you find yourself for some unknown reason favoring one team?

It's time to admit that I really want to use CF mast with sail track and wishbone booms.  While I'm confessing I should further admit that I think wishbone booms are cool. With that said, I'm not sure its worth the weight to have rotating masts (even though they are also cool) since the wishbone limits its usefulness to aerodynamics only.  This may be a place where its warranted to bother Bernd. But I'm not going to show up empty handed, I'll have a bearing concept in hand with some weight estimates.

Before I consider this a finalized  decision I'm going to try to hitch a ride on a nonsuch or other wishbone rigged sailboat. So I can experience how it is to sail in real-life, before committing to it for my own boat.

No comments:

Post a Comment