I'm writing this blog as a journal of my build of a Duo-660 catamaran. Most of the content will be dedicated to this endeavor. I try to populate posts with pictures since it is instructive. The notes tab is for misfit posts. Always nice to have a place for the misfits.

-Esteban

Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Still Thinking About Rigs

Still pondering. Here are my latest, perhaps not best thoughts.

My first thought is to recall that I am building a light weight small catamaran.  And it should have a lightweight easily handled rig to go with it.  Call that the requirement the boat has for the rig.

So with light weight and ease of handling as my primary concerns I can evaluate rig option based on these criteria. Right? For the following I figured any boom meant moderate weight.

Here is a go:

Soft-wing sail: Heavy, Easy to handle.
     Lots of hardware aloft.

Junk-rig: Moderate weight, Easy to handle
     Many battens and associated tackle adds to weight.

Luff Pocket Boomless: Light, Easy to handle
     Serious concerns about downwind work.

Luff Pocket with Boom: Moderate weight, Easy to handle
     See example below.

Sail track with Wishbone: Moderate:weight, Easy to handle
     This is the default, performance wise should be nothing to complain about.($$$$)

Poking around the internet I found this rig combination from Schionning Designs of Australia. I'm showing this one first because you can really see the shape of the boom.



In this picture you can see a luff pocket version carrying a reef on both sides.


In other pictures its pretty obvious that the main is carried loose footed. It also looks like the mast is fixed and the boom is on a gooseneck.  I'm going to do some more research to see if I can figure out if that is true. If my boom can go high enough not to hit me in the head then this may be a possibility. You get the aero efficiency of a luff pocketed sail, downwind you have a boom to work with, and you avoid sail-tracks. Note the absence of a vang. I wonder if the boom is rigidly attached (vertically)? 

2 comments:

  1. Estephan

    As you mention, a boom less rig can not work properly before the wind. Look at the new TINY TRI. A wishbone boom has to be placed as shown. The angled boom prevents injury of the crew by a boom and needs no boom fang.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bernd,
    Did you look up at the latest rig idea? its inspired by your tiny-tri rig. I'm having some trouble just doing the statics, I think since both support beams are at a small angle you end up with either inconsistent or dependent systems of equations (I haven't run it to ground yet). Not that worried though, the loads dont look out of hand.
    -Esteban

    ReplyDelete