I'm writing this blog as a journal of my build of a Duo-660 catamaran. Most of the content will be dedicated to this endeavor. I try to populate posts with pictures since it is instructive. The notes tab is for misfit posts. Always nice to have a place for the misfits.

-Esteban

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Back In Action

We are back from Vancouver. Canada is a strange place, it's basically like being in the US but there are little differences that get your attention (more smoking, leather jackets, British word spellings, and colorful money). In any case we had fun, and a much needed respite.

We arrived home yesterday at 3:00 and by 3:03 I was in the boat shed.  I trimmed the three butt straps from last week and got the next two wall planks on.  Today I trimmed those down and installed the bottom plank.  There are a couple of interesting things going on with this plank. The first is that it needs to be relieved in order to bend as needed. The second is that the leading edge is not perpendicular to the boat center line. First a picture showing the bend needed.


In order to let the plywood bend, I put a short and relatively narrow cut out from the middle of the leading edge. The picture below shows the cut in the plank and the slight angle at the trailing edge of the garboard. It takes this angle because of the way the plywood is twisted onto the frame. I knew this was there but figured that trimming the bottom plank edges to match would be easier than trying to figure out the exact right angle at which to pre-cut the garboard edge.


There was not much material to remove to put this angle on the plank, so I formed it up using the palm sander.  Below is a picture taken after it was installed. I used 4 screws along the leading edge of the plank. It took a little pressure to get the plank properly bent, but nothing excessive. For the rest of the plank the polymer brad nailer did the job admirably.


I also managed to cut and install that last two wall planks (baby planks by comparison).


Tomorrow I will trim the bottom plank and the last wall planks and set about installing the last bottom plank. Then I will see how much filling and sanding I can get done in one day. I will eventually get stuck waiting for glue to dry, of course.  On a final note the fiberglass for the hull arrived today, and the next shipment of epoxy will be here tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment