I'm writing this blog as a journal of my build of a Duo-660 catamaran. Most of the content will be dedicated to this endeavor. I try to populate posts with pictures since it is instructive. The notes tab is for misfit posts. Always nice to have a place for the misfits.

-Esteban

Saturday, April 23, 2016

Getting Ready To Turn The Hull, And A Lesson Learned

Today I followed Bryan's Gougeon Brothers inspired advise and put one more layer of epoxy on the bottom of the hull. The rest of the hull will also get this treatment. But I am saving that for after I've got the entire thing glassed. Have to do the bottom now to avoid trying to do it upside down. Also made the bottom part of the cradles for the hull turning.

Now for the lesson learned.  When building up the hull I put small cleats and some triangles made from 1x2 on the rails to position the bulkheads.  I left those there until now, and that was a mistake. The problem is that these little pieces are taller than the base of the cradles, so they will be in the way when we turn the hull. The other problem is that they are now quite effectively hidden by the hull itself.  I managed with help to lift and block the hull enough to remove all that stuff.  Next time all those little positioning pieces will get removed prior to planking.

Tomorrow is the big day. I will be sure get video. So I can share what will (hopefully) be about 30 seconds of work.

1 comment:

  1. Success for the turning "party". Don't try a new turning record. Safety first ;-)

    ReplyDelete