I'm writing this blog as a journal of my build of a Duo-660 catamaran. Most of the content will be dedicated to this endeavor. I try to populate posts with pictures since it is instructive. The notes tab is for misfit posts. Always nice to have a place for the misfits.

-Esteban

Sunday, April 3, 2016

Child Labor Edition

Most of this work was done on Friday which was the last time I got out to the boat shed. This weekend was just very busy with kid school functions and family time (more on that later). I put my 7 year old son, Pablo to work removing screws from the garboard, he was almost a help.  He still lacks muscle and he is short, but his technique is improving.


Below is a picture of how far I took the garboard trimming using the Fein.


And then of course the post belt sander finished picture.


The reason I had to finish trimming the garboard instead of staying focused on my epoxy coating task is that I am using the hull basically like a work bench.  And I could not prop up a sheet of plywood on the irregular edge of a partially completed garboard installation.  So with the second garboard installed on Friday. I got out for a few minutes tonight (Sunday) to get 2! sheets coated in epoxy. The forward end of the hull gets too narrow to support a sheet of plywood with any stability, so I made this to help hold the plywood stable for the epoxy.  


So far so good, but here is where things will get more interesting. The kids have their spring break coming up. We are going to ship them (all 3) to New Mexico to visit my parents. My wife and I will take a few days mini-vacation in Vancouver, Canada (we have never been) and I will get a few days (DAYS!) to work on the boat relatively unmolested.  The focus now is on getting the plywood coated and collecting supplies, so I will not waste any kid-free time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment