I'm writing this blog as a journal of my build of a Duo-660 catamaran. Most of the content will be dedicated to this endeavor. I try to populate posts with pictures since it is instructive. The notes tab is for misfit posts. Always nice to have a place for the misfits.

-Esteban

Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Back in Action

Its been awhile since I could break away to work on the boat. I got a couple of hours in today and am happy with the results, but also have a mystery to think about. I did the cut-outs on bulkhead 2 including the cutout for the keel. See Below.


I have some scrap pieces of stringers and chine that I'm using to test fit as I go. Below is admittedly one of the better fitting stringer cutouts. While this one is one of the better ones the worst ones are not too different.


So I'm back to letting epoxy cure. I am getting worried about how I'm going to fit workspace and an ama in my boat shop. But I suppose I'll fix that when I get there.


The mystery is how I'm going to do the cutouts for bulkhead 7 (transom). Since I don't want to cut through the entire bulkhead. So far I only have the two side pieces of superstructure glued onto the bulkhead.  I'm going to leave it like that until I come up with an approach.


3 comments:

  1. Hi Esteban

    have a look on the K Designs yahoo site, at the various photos. For example on Patrick's Voyager it can be quite clearly seen that he ran the stringers right through and then cut the excess off flush. If you were worried about the trimmed ends of the stringers printing through the glass cloth, you could always laminate a 4 mm ply piece over the top , but I dont think most people do that. With the Duo , being made up from 3 primary panels in the first instance, it was achievable to keep the transom piece outside of the stringers.

    Anyhow, looks like you are getting into the swing of things nicely
    regards
    Bryan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Bryan.
    I actually hadn't considered what you mention. Not sure why because I have seen those pictures. I think I'm going to layout where the stringers and chine land on the bulkhead and cut off superstructure to match and then install the cross pieces of superstructure with required reliefs. I know what you mention would likely be easier, having never finished anything in epoxy fiberglass I'm worried that the cut though would show or at least be as hard to hide as cutting out the reliefs, if you know what I mean.

    Seriously though, thanks for the comment. Nice to hear from someone reading my blog. As for getting the hang of things, I'm feeling better about this project lately. Its just becoming part of my lifestyle (good thing too because as you know there is a loooong way to go).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Esteban
      what you are proposing is basically how I did mine. Except it was easier on the Jigsaw due to the construction method. As usual there are always different ways of approaching things. On your latest post, about the keel panels , I think we will have to await your progress as it is a bit hard to understand without seeing the plans.

      Regular progress becomes big progress, in the end, keep up the good work

      Regards
      Bryan

      Delete