I'm writing this blog as a journal of my build of a Duo-660 catamaran. Most of the content will be dedicated to this endeavor. I try to populate posts with pictures since it is instructive. The notes tab is for misfit posts. Always nice to have a place for the misfits.

-Esteban

Thursday, September 17, 2015

Bulkhead 3 "The Magic Bulkhead" Cut Today

I got another bulkhead cut out today. I'm getting the routine down now.

1. Find the next bulkhead and remember what I was doing.
2. Re-check the dimensions for the chine and stringer cut outs
3. Cut out with jig-saw and check fit.
4. Prepare things for epoxy coat.
5. Epoxy coat.
6. Take picture.
7. Write blog post.

So here is the picture of BH3 all cutout and with epoxy applied.


This is the magic bulkhead. This is where the keel goes from forming an outside part of the boat to becoming an inside structural only piece.  My plan for this is to build the keel out of 6mm and 9mm sheets and then step the 6mm sheet from the bottom of the 9mm sheet to the top to make room for the 6mm bottom planking.  I had hoped that by doing it this way I could have a clean transition that was all done at bulkhead 3. The only hitch is that as you can see above the bottom the bulkhead still has a marked, if gentle, V shape.  I tried to bend 6mm sheet around it and it didn't look promising.  As usual Bernd was right. He said I would need a filler piece.  So now I think the bottom planking from BH4 to BH3 will have a U shape so I can get the tops of the Us flush onto the bottom of BH3, I will still step the Keel as above but will add a filler to fill the relief in the U shape.  I know this is wordy but hopefully will make sense when I have some pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment