I'm writing this blog as a journal of my build of a Duo-660 catamaran. Most of the content will be dedicated to this endeavor. I try to populate posts with pictures since it is instructive. The notes tab is for misfit posts. Always nice to have a place for the misfits.

-Esteban

Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Transom, and a lesson on how not to do this

So in an earlier post I talked about needing a way forward on how to cut stringer relief on the transom superstructure.  I thought I could just cut the superstructure away where needed and leave the exposed side of the transom unscathed. I was wrong. Since the chine and deck stingers have edges that stay within one piece of the superstructure, I would have had to either mill inside corners or cut away more than needed and then put back some extra pieces.  So as usual when confronted with an either or proposition, I chose both. For the stringers where I could do a clean(ish) cut, I cut way the superstructure. Where I could not do this I cut through the transom. Like this:


Note that I used clamps instead of the polymer brads, since I'm still trying to keep the outer face of the transom as clean as possible. Here is another look showing the cut away for the stringer and the cut through for the deck stringer (shear).


I am concerned that seating the end of the stringer in its relief and flush against the inside face of the transom will be tricky. Since the stringer will be "moving" both laterally and vertically from BH6.  I think I'll just be ready to cut several test parts on the compound miter saw until I match the angle.

No comments:

Post a Comment