I'm writing this blog as a journal of my build of a Duo-660 catamaran. Most of the content will be dedicated to this endeavor. I try to populate posts with pictures since it is instructive. The notes tab is for misfit posts. Always nice to have a place for the misfits.

-Esteban

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

First use of Omer brad nailer with polymer brads

I invested in an Omer Brad nailer that can use polymer brads.  The main advantage of this is that the brads (which basically turn into columns of glue running through the joined parts) can be left in the boat.  So I won't removing screws, then filling and sanding the holes left behind. I used it for the first time today and am very happy with the purchase.  An unexpected feature is that it has an easy to use depth setting. I thought I was going to control depth by changing the regulated air pressure on my compressor. This is much easier an insures you wont just shoot a Brad straight through your relatively thin marine plywood.


Its a bit hard to see below but I was reducing the depth setting in this test piece. I left it where I could see the head of the brad from the top, but so the head of the brad was still below the surface of the plywood.


2 comments:

  1. Your blog is very helpful for me. I want to Know more about Brad nailer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Careful!
    I don't think a regular brad nailer is compatible with composite brads. Its been awhile since I researched this but I found the manufacturer of the fasteners first. Here is the website http://raptornails.com/product-catalog/brads-and-pins.php
    They have warnings that you should only use specific tools with their fasteners. I tend to believe them since there is no way these polymer brads behave the same as the sheets of stamped metal that regular nailers use. I bought my Omer nailer on duckworks, but there was also a distributor in Oregon. Hope this helps -Esteban

    ReplyDelete