I'm writing this blog as a journal of my build of a Duo-660 catamaran. Most of the content will be dedicated to this endeavor. I try to populate posts with pictures since it is instructive. The notes tab is for misfit posts. Always nice to have a place for the misfits.

-Esteban

Saturday, September 26, 2015

Found Alaskan Yellow Cedar for Rudder Spars

So I'm in gather materials mode for the rudders. The rudder drawings call for spruce for the rudder spars, but the only spruce I could find near the house was a bit too thin 3/4 inch instead of 20mm. So I drove across town and found Sitka Spruce that would work, but for the same price they also had Alaskan Yellow Cedar. So I went with the AYC. Its really amazing how much this lumber does not weigh.



Next problem will be how to cut very accurately. Thinking I will rough cut it on the table saw and then work it down to size with a power planer.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Esteban

    are your rudder foils carved out of solid wood? This is a bit of a departure from Bernd's usual method , the hollow bent plywood sections with the carbon fibre inside. Interesting.

    regards
    Bryan

    ReplyDelete
  2. No they are built using the same construction method as yours (I've been using your blog for reference). The yellow cedar is for the spar of lumber that runs the length of the rudder. I refer to accurate measurements because the spar is not exactly square in cross section, the more I think about it, its very slight maybe I could use a sander to get it to shape? I haven't seen the 480 rudder drawings, is the spar in that rudder square?
    -Esteban

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Esteban

    yes, 19 mm square. If yours is more rectangular, you still probably dont need to do much to it either. Just a bit of a whack with the belt sander on the back edge- epoxy is a wonderful thing, to hide a multitude of sins, as you know

    regards
    Bryan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear you on the magic of epoxy. The spar for the 660 rudder is slightly trapezoidal. As you mention, the right tool for the job is probably a sander. I'll just have to be disciplined in going slow and measuring often.

    ReplyDelete