I'm writing this blog as a journal of my build of a Duo-660 catamaran. Most of the content will be dedicated to this endeavor. I try to populate posts with pictures since it is instructive. The notes tab is for misfit posts. Always nice to have a place for the misfits.

-Esteban

Sunday, January 17, 2016

Bernd Saves Me from Myself

So Bernd responded to my question about how to proceed with getting the stringers onto the bulkheads on the K-Design user group.  Of course I was going to do it the wrong way. He said to make the stingers long enough first and then put them on. So that is what I'm doing. Its raining pretty steadily here, and space always tight, is really at a premium now that the bulkheads are set up. So I used the bulkheads as stands to hold up the stingers while I scarfed them together.




I'm really not impressed with my scarfing job hopefully it will work out ok one I start putting these on the bulkheads.


I'll let these cure tonight and hopefully will be able to start installing them tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Esteban

    it is a pity you have probably glued up your stringer material by now, but it's not too late to prevent making a serious structural mistake. Recut them at a minimum of 8:1 , which is a minimum (some sources say 12:1). i just put a comment on the yahoo site, referring to Rodneys KD650 build 2011 (see links) and you will get an idea. Therefore at 8;1 if your stringer material is 1 inch thick, then the scarf length would be 8 inches.
    regards
    Bryan

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmm. that would have been good to know. But also impossible on my miter saw. I suppose I could do it with a jig saw. I'm not sure Im worried about it from a structural perspective as the structure is very stiff already. I'll plan to get a more gradual cut on the open stringers already on, and will put a 4mm strap across the shallow scarfs. to make myself feel better. nice to hear form you again.
    -Esteban

    ReplyDelete