I'm writing this blog as a journal of my build of a Duo-660 catamaran. Most of the content will be dedicated to this endeavor. I try to populate posts with pictures since it is instructive. The notes tab is for misfit posts. Always nice to have a place for the misfits.

-Esteban

Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Feeding the Addiction

I set out to accomplish 3 things today and actually did all three. (Amazing).


Item 1:
Bryan Cox of Duo 480 fame (see his blog in my links section). Pointed out to me that I jacked up my stringer scarfs by not cutting the angle drastically smaller.   It's too late for these stringers but I did go back and put on some butt straps to shore up the joints.  The stringers look fair in the way they took the bend to the hull (no sharp turn at the joint), so I think this will be sufficient.


Item 2:
I cut and mounted the top and bottom gussets onto bulkhead 0. I'm still a little hazy on how the stem needs to come together but I will spend some time tonight staring at drawings and pictures of other efforts on the internet.


Item 3:
I repaired the forward stringer joints.  I was going to try to change the angle on the scarfs by taking a jig saw to the protruding stringer ends. But the thought of trying to cut a straight cut on a cantilevered stringer end just seems like an invitation for disaster. So I kept the shallow angle and will put butt straps on these joints as well (after the stringer is installed on the bulkheads).

Going forward I think I may have more fabrication work to do on the stem before I can really button all of this up and move on to installing chines, and shear timbers. I will be thinking of specific next steps as I go over drawings tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment