I'm writing this blog as a journal of my build of a Duo-660 catamaran. Most of the content will be dedicated to this endeavor. I try to populate posts with pictures since it is instructive. The notes tab is for misfit posts. Always nice to have a place for the misfits.

-Esteban

Sunday, January 31, 2016

Sneaking Out to the Boat Shed with a Fein

Tubing with the kids was fun. And it turns out that running kids up and down a snowy mountain slope for hours has the effect of tiring them out. So when we got home and everyone rested, I snuck out to visit my boat.

I used the Fein tool to trim the chines and stringers and cut small corners at reliefs in bulkheads to get the chines to lie fair.  The picture below is kind of an overall shot of the bow. Had to use the flash since it was getting late and the shop light is at the other end of the shed.

  
Below shows where the chines were cut to meet the stem. I'm really happy with the Fein tool.  Making these cuts was easy, especially when compared with trying to use a hacksaw or Dremel to do the same job.


This last pic shows where the stringers terminate into the chine. I think the flash makes my cut look better than it really is (a few small gaps). That said, I'm confident the imperfections are well within the capability of filled epoxy.


It's all set up in the shop and ready to epoxy. I ran out of time tonight to start gluing. I may not have glued today anyway, since a night of thinking through the order of gluing will be a good thing. I want to have a pretty solid plan before I start bonding around 20 individual joints.

No comments:

Post a Comment