I'm writing this blog as a journal of my build of a Duo-660 catamaran. Most of the content will be dedicated to this endeavor. I try to populate posts with pictures since it is instructive. The notes tab is for misfit posts. Always nice to have a place for the misfits.

-Esteban

Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Revised Plan

Here is the revised plan:

1: Build a frame (triangular) anchored to the rails, that is in position to hold the chine down at the stem but does not touch the stem (1 or 2 inches away).

2: Hook chines under frame and lower (clamp) onto bulkheads.
    Will need spacers to act as stringers on BH1 for this step

3: Cut off forward end of chines at stem

4: Dry run clamping scheme at bow

5: Fabricate breasthook to tie chines together in transverse direction

5: Mark and cut stringer termination into chines (need fein tool)

6: Disassemble

7: Reassemble with epoxy (filled with fumed silica) including breasthook.

The breasthook is a key piece of this puzzle since it limits the degrees of freedom the chines have to rotate about BH1. They should stay put when the frame is removed.  Only after all of this is done will I attach the stem. This is so if anything shifts I can fair it back to acceptable before committing the stem.

I'm waiting the fein tool so will get as far as I can on this and build up the shear timbers while I anxiously await its arrival.

No comments:

Post a Comment