I'm writing this blog as a journal of my build of a Duo-660 catamaran. Most of the content will be dedicated to this endeavor. I try to populate posts with pictures since it is instructive. The notes tab is for misfit posts. Always nice to have a place for the misfits.

-Esteban

Friday, January 15, 2016

Bulkhead Alignment Complete

Alignment done but conundrums abound.

It wasn't that much work to finish the alignment today. Good thing because I didn't have a lot of time to devote to the boat. Here is a picture of the aft three bulkheads.


I test fit some stringers into the bulkheads and have to admit that the fit is harder than I would like. What I did not anticipate is that the relative position of the stringers between bulkheads puts the stringers in a twist. Which means they are wider in cross section than allowed for by the reliefs in the bulkheads. I think the right amount of "negotiation" will get the stringer properly seated, its just not as simple as it may appear.  I bought some course grit sandpaper and will be sanding off the corners of at the implicated parts of the stringers to try to make this easier.

The other conundrum is whether to first glue up the stringer to full boat length before installing. Or to build up the stinger lengthwise as I progress from the transom to the bow with the stringers installed as I go. I asked for advise on the k-designs website because I can see pros and cons to either approach. And the pictures I can find online only show completed installations.

Having a stringer of proper length seems right, but I don't know how I could epoxy bond at least 3 sections of stringer and keep it straight over its entire length. The downside of the built as you go approach is that I think the angle of the stringer to bulkhead joint will be a little off if the leading edge of the stringer is not pulled into a direction to meet the next bulkhead.

I think I will build up stringers as I go, but I will lag the bond by one bulkhead. So if the stringer reaches from the transom to past BH 5 I will only bond at the transom and BH6. Leaving the stringer just out of its relief on BH5 (to preserve my access to apply epoxy in the next step).  What I saw doing test fits today is that the stringer really wants to go wide of the hull and I don't want to bond any stringer at an angle that wide of the mark. Just seems like it will unduly stress the bonded joint and should be avoided.

To aid in this process I also bought two very large clamps to hold the front edges of the stringers at an angle that is at least close to correct. I will be sure to post pictures of to make this more clear.

Lastly, this weekend is another football intense weekend with the Seahawks facing a very good North Carolina team.  I have to enjoy it now because soon football season will be over and lets face facts; baseball and basketball are poor substitutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment