I'm writing this blog as a journal of my build of a Duo-660 catamaran. Most of the content will be dedicated to this endeavor. I try to populate posts with pictures since it is instructive. The notes tab is for misfit posts. Always nice to have a place for the misfits.

-Esteban

Thursday, May 5, 2016

Beam Recess

I finally stopped pondering this and got started. It's a little unnerving at first taking a saw to the just turned hull. Especially when the reference lines are distant and unseen references to the CWL.  Once I got started I felt much better. I'm getting better at using the right angle laser to quickly find my marks and am slowly learning to trust it.  The depth of the recess is defined as a distance from the CWL (like everything). So after some translating with the offsets drawing, I plotted the depth at two points (at BH3 and BH4). I then set up the below fence to guide my cut.


The verticals were marked out as offset from BH3 and perpendicular to the line marked by the batten. the first cut through the hull was the hardest. After that it is was a-lot of measuring and remeasuring before I mixed the epoxy. Below is how I left things.


Tomorrow I need to make a run to Dunn Lumber for more 1x2s and will keep up the pressure on completing the first beam recess.

No comments:

Post a Comment