I'm writing this blog as a journal of my build of a Duo-660 catamaran. Most of the content will be dedicated to this endeavor. I try to populate posts with pictures since it is instructive. The notes tab is for misfit posts. Always nice to have a place for the misfits.

-Esteban

Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Have You Ever...

Have you ever had a problem for which you were working toward a solution, only to have someone come along and solve it, far more simply than you had even considered?  That is what happened to me when the incomparable Bob Burt mentioned that I should just go to the local hardware store to buy the epoxy pumps I was missing. Turns out it was a bit more complicated, I had to go to the local fishery supply store (about 1/2 mile further than the hardware store).   In any case the good news is that I have epoxy again and have put it to use gluing in the deck stringer.   I left out a picture because it looks exactly like the set-up picture from a few days ago.

I started laying out the electrical schematic and it has seems that I am overthinking this.  I only plan to run lights (all LED), a radio (intermittently) and maybe a device charger off the battery. I think I will buy 2 small 12 volt batteries so I can have a backup. At most I am only planning on spending 1 night at anchor at a time so I can rely on shore power to recharge the batteries.  The last piece of this is that since the batteries will be relatively small I will keep them in the cabin instead of in the hulls. I know this is sub-optimal from a weight distribution perspective but it will be much easier on the wiring especially since the cabin and hull need to be able to move relative to each other (fewer, smaller bulkhead connectors).

I'm feeling whole again now that I can use my epoxy. I've got a lot of errands tomorrow but will hopefully start chipping away at the long list of deck tasks. The heavy hitters are beam recesses, aft beam holder and trampoline rails.

No comments:

Post a Comment