I'm writing this blog as a journal of my build of a Duo-660 catamaran. Most of the content will be dedicated to this endeavor. I try to populate posts with pictures since it is instructive. The notes tab is for misfit posts. Always nice to have a place for the misfits.

-Esteban

Friday, May 13, 2016

Moving Along But Need A Plan On Through Deck Fittings

Since today was my last opportunity for a bit, I made the most of it. Although I'm still not actually done with anything.  Progress was made on the first beam recess.


And also in framing the second beam recess.


I had some time so I started laying the groundwork for the structure needed for the aft beam cradles. This is basically a huge butt strap that acts as a backing plate for the aft beam mounts.


The specific challenge to this is that the underside of this needs to be glassed.  I think the trick will be to wet out the glass at a separate location and then move into position under the buttstrap and down along the interior wall of the hull to the topmost stringer.

On the through deck items I'm having trouble deciding how to go about installation. I wanted to use t-nuts so the nut could have some bite into the structure, but in order to install you need access from the inside after the deck is installed.  The best I have so far is the following procedure.

1. Dry fit the deck and drill over-sized holes
2. Remove deck and separately fill holes with filled epoxy (deck and underlayment already on hull)
3. Install t-nuts and studs in underlayment with epoxy
4. Drill correctly sized holes in decking (through cured filled epoxy)
5. Install deck with epoxy (use epoxy on stud in the deck through hole)

I don't really like this plan but for the moment its the best I've got. The last bit of fidgeting is over the aft beam cradles. I really don't want to install these until I have both hulls together to make sure the cradles are straight. Given and angles and distances at work a tiny misalignment could be big trouble later. The bummer is that I wont be able to finish the topside paint until I have both hulls done and the cross-hull alignments completed. I suppose that will just be the way things have to be, but I was really looking forward to have a completed, pretty hull.  I suppose I could leave the beam cradles loose, like giant washers between the hull and the aft beam. It feels wrong, but technically I don't think it would matter to the joint loading much. I'll sleep on that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment