I'm writing this blog as a journal of my build of a Duo-660 catamaran. Most of the content will be dedicated to this endeavor. I try to populate posts with pictures since it is instructive. The notes tab is for misfit posts. Always nice to have a place for the misfits.

-Esteban

Thursday, May 12, 2016

Beam Recess,.....Again

I'm splitting time between finishing recess 1 and working on the second recess.  In a previous post I wondered why it was taking so long, and I think I have an answer. I'm simply having to measure every edge three or four times to make sure it's good. And I think the reason for that is that it is hard to trust your eyes. See the picture below to see what I mean.


As I was doing this I was worried that the vertical on the far side wall was off. So I laid a laser line down the edge of the previously installed cross member. As you can see it looks like it comes down from the shear at an obtuse angle (I held a square on the beam relief to show straight). So the line is right, it just looks wrong because your eye wants to use the shear as the reference. But you can't do that because the shear is moving all over relative to the CWL.  With that little rant done, this is where I left the second beam relief.


As for the first beam relief, I installed additional cross members aft of the recess as shown below.


I will do something similar to this at the forward side as well. That will make it so I can make 16 beam brackets all the same. I thought about having different stud locations at different hull locations. Implying that the brackets would be matched to certain locations as well. I spent a bit too long on that idea before I came to my senses.  I also trimmed and sanded the recess top and hull wall joints.


I still need to go to the hardware store tomorrow and will just keep working on recesses. Tomorrow will be my last boat shed opportunity until Monday the earliest, since my wife has a busy family weekend planned.  

No comments:

Post a Comment