I'm writing this blog as a journal of my build of a Duo-660 catamaran. Most of the content will be dedicated to this endeavor. I try to populate posts with pictures since it is instructive. The notes tab is for misfit posts. Always nice to have a place for the misfits.

-Esteban

Wednesday, May 4, 2016

This Is Going To Get Ugly

I spent most of the day on random house or kid functions. But did make a point to go out the boat shed to try to think a bit about my beam recess problems. What I found is more problems. When I set up the bulkheads I measured the station position on one rail and then made sure the distance was the same between bulkheads on both sides. This allowed (apparently) for some walk on the on non-station side. The result is that the bulkheads are not parallel to each other.  I dont think it makes that big a difference structurally or to the overall shape of the hull, since the beam is very short. But it does make a difference where BH3 is being used as the beam recess wall for the forward beam.  Here is a picture of how I'm laying things out in an attempt to right this mess.


This is not just a matter of cosmetics, there are 4 angle brackets that hold the beams to the hull. These need to have something stout on which to mount. Which is why bernd was using BH3. Bernd just didn't count on me coming along and making everything crooked.  I think I will build out the misaligned angle in the beam recess to make the recess square. Its going to be extra work (of course) but in the end this fix will be invisible from outside of the hull and  very difficult to see from the inside.

I should mention that while I'm mildly annoyed with myself over this, I'm not that upset.  Reason being that the hull is a giant box-beam. And the stiffness of the epoxy bonded joints means that the beam is sharing loads as if it were one piece. Point being that the hull will be very strong. Certainly strong enough to handle anything me and my kids will throw at it.  With this in mind I just need to concentrate on getting the major components built in a way that insures they will fit together. I've been a little scattered recently, but I think I'm going to focus on beam recesses. I need this prioritization to keep me from just walking around the hull thinking about all the things I could do, while doing none of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment