I'm writing this blog as a journal of my build of a Duo-660 catamaran. Most of the content will be dedicated to this endeavor. I try to populate posts with pictures since it is instructive. The notes tab is for misfit posts. Always nice to have a place for the misfits.

-Esteban

Friday, February 19, 2016

"Bring out the gimp"

Because one of my many moral failings is a concerning love of the movie Pulp Fiction, I named a tool I made the "Gimp".  Specifically I was worried about how to change the angle of chine and shear scarfs in a progressive way between bulkheads.  What I came up with was to make a plywood plate that I fit between and flush with bulkheads and clamp in place as shown below.


This gives me a guide so I can match the angle I'm sanding down on the chines/shear to match the one shown by the gimp. As shown below.


Here it is as set up for the shear.


I measured the distances between bulkheads and made the gimp to the length of the largest one. Then the next section will be the next smallest one and I will trim the length of the gimp to fit. This will continue until at the end the gimp will be much smaller and likely very beat up, but this way I only need to make one. Today I sanded down the chine and shear one one side of the first section and left things set up and ready to do the chine on the other side. One more picture because I can't resist.


I also "finished" my epoxy coating task. I put that in quotes because every time I turn on the sander I make for epoxy coating work.  Today was a fun day in the boat shed, its amazing how much better things look when the chine and shear match the bulkhead profile.

No comments:

Post a Comment