I'm writing this blog as a journal of my build of a Duo-660 catamaran. Most of the content will be dedicated to this endeavor. I try to populate posts with pictures since it is instructive. The notes tab is for misfit posts. Always nice to have a place for the misfits.

-Esteban

Monday, February 29, 2016

Up At Night Thinking About Transition Joints

I woke up (at 1 AM) thinking about how the planking is going to get put on the boat.  Not that surprising in itself.  Perhaps more surprising is that I know something about this! Before I started this obsession I read several books on plywood boatbuilding. I considered this my due diligence before jumping in, but if I'm honest my mind was really made up.  So there I was, awake and stewing about the garboard to keel joint at the bow. When I remembered that I had seen this in one of my due diligence books (Boatbuilding With Plywood, Glen L Witt).  The problem is that I need the planking to make a transition from interfacing the keel on one face to another. Apropos, the book calls this a transition joint. Here is a quick sketch.


Unfortunately the book's treatment while likely adequate is not as expansive as I would have hoped. Which by the way is the problem with all books about boatbuilding. They all seem to give endless detail about things that are not important to me, and very little detail on the the things that are. My take away tonight will be that I need to be even more careful than usual about not being in a rush. I've probably got at least two more days just to get the keel put on so I've some time to continue stewing about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment