I'm writing this blog as a journal of my build of a Duo-660 catamaran. Most of the content will be dedicated to this endeavor. I try to populate posts with pictures since it is instructive. The notes tab is for misfit posts. Always nice to have a place for the misfits.

-Esteban

Thursday, February 25, 2016

Forgot About The Keel Transition

So I got a little excited about getting to fitting a keel. I forgot about the fact that the keel needs to make a transition from constituting the bottom plank to becoming part the interior structure.  I had spent a good amount of time thinking about this when I was first studying the plans, but now its more real. So here is the detailed look at how I'm going to approach this joint.


The fabrication plan will be to clamp together the 9mm (dark green) keel piece with the 6mm planking filler piece and match scarf them with the keel forward section. I will leave the planking filler long and wait to glue that in until I know how long a filler is required. This will let me cut a filler to meet the planking rather than the other way around.

I likely wont get out to the boat shed today. Too many household duties and I missed my workout yesterday, so I have to make that up today.

No comments:

Post a Comment