I'm writing this blog as a journal of my build of a Duo-660 catamaran. Most of the content will be dedicated to this endeavor. I try to populate posts with pictures since it is instructive. The notes tab is for misfit posts. Always nice to have a place for the misfits.

-Esteban

Thursday, February 4, 2016

New Thoughts on Rig Approach

I've been spending a lot of time thinking about the rig for the boat and have an idea that was sparked by an approach that Bernd came up with for his new tri-maran (See posts here: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/k-designs/conversations/messages/5740 )  The approach Bernd shows gets me most of what I want (reefing using a rotating mast, wishbone boom, luff pocketed sails). Its limitation is that you can't throw the boom all the way out because eventually the inside of the wishbone will hit the mast.  So what if the anchor for the wishbone also rotated about the mast axis? Here are some sketches. This one shows a plan-form view. The idea is for the anchor point for the wishbone to transfer loads from the boom rigidly to the deck through the bearing which is shown in the second sketch.






I'm now trying to think of drawbacks, and convince myself I could build it all myself at reasonable cost.  If I can see it coming together I will start to run some sizing numbers to further assess its viability.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment