I'm writing this blog as a journal of my build of a Duo-660 catamaran. Most of the content will be dedicated to this endeavor. I try to populate posts with pictures since it is instructive. The notes tab is for misfit posts. Always nice to have a place for the misfits.

-Esteban

Saturday, February 20, 2016

Fairing Continues....

I used the gimp on the chine, and the shear for the second side of section 1 today. Its great on the chine but I'm beginning to question its usefulness for the shear. It is just harder to get it to follow the edge you need when it is sitting vertical. I end up stopping and checking for vertical match between the stringer and the shear with a straight edge. Either way fairing one chine section and one shear section (section is one opening between bulkheads) is good bit of work and I break a good sweat when holding the sander in a vertical position. My goal is to do this much every day until done. Hopefully I can follow through with that.  Here is a picture of the fairing work done today.

2 comments:

  1. I gather you do it "free hand". Use a good corner, stringer etc as reverence. Make a guide as shown here. This the DUO 480 cruiser under construction by Thomas https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/k-designs/photos/albums/1266549863
    This will safe you a lot of time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I've been doing it free hand with frequent stops to see how it is lining up to the adjacent stringer. So far so good, my sander does not have an attachment like Tomaz. I looked for one with a place to attach things but no luck on that.
    -Esteban

    ReplyDelete