I'm writing this blog as a journal of my build of a Duo-660 catamaran. Most of the content will be dedicated to this endeavor. I try to populate posts with pictures since it is instructive. The notes tab is for misfit posts. Always nice to have a place for the misfits.

-Esteban

Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Fairing Chines With A Twist

Despite having my daughter home sick for the day, I got out for a couple of hours to the boat shed to do some fairing. Today was an exciting day because I'm now doing the harder section on the chines.  This section is where there they need to have more material removed due to the shape of the bulkheads.  I used the gimp on both sides, I faired down my shims (used to account for two backward bulkheads), and set up a new guide for the next section.  First a picture of the chine fairing, you can also see where the shims were sanded down to provide a flat surface for planking.


Next is a picture of the set-up for the next section, I'm using a new piece of scrap as a guide since the gimp is too deep and it was easier to use this piece, than cut down the gimp.


The last section (between the stem and BH1) will not require much in the way of fairing specific areas down. It looks like it will be more a matter of cleaning up epoxy runs and making things flat.  Still before I can call myself done I have to hit a few spots with filled epoxy, so that makes for at least 2 more days.  Also it's supposed to be dry tomorrow, so I will plan to start building up the keel.  So for now my goal will be to start fitting a keel this weekend!

I don't know why I make these little milestones, the only schedule I really have is the voice in my head that really wants me to sail my own catamaran.

No comments:

Post a Comment