I'm writing this blog as a journal of my build of a Duo-660 catamaran. Most of the content will be dedicated to this endeavor. I try to populate posts with pictures since it is instructive. The notes tab is for misfit posts. Always nice to have a place for the misfits.

-Esteban

Monday, February 8, 2016

Superbowl is Over Time To Work On The Boat

This post might be a bit scattered, only because the work being done is bit scattered too.

First thing to cover is progress made on applying gussets to the chines at the bow.  Here is a fun picture showing epoxy boogers that dried where I bonded the chines to each other.  Needless to say I sanded down the boogers to a flat surface before proceeding.


Later I bonded on this piece of 4mm Okume. I already had the bond side epoxy coated.  I will trim this to match with the Fein tool after it cures.


So I put on bulkheads 1 and 2 backwards. I realized this right after I did it. Now I have to deal with the implications of that.  First a picture showing the problem with having backwards bulkheads. As you can see below there is no material available to remove to make the bulkhead edge match the stringer.


I'm going epoxy on a 4mm Okume shim on the outside of these bulkheads and then sand those down until I can get a flush surface on which to install the planking.  Below is a picture of what that should give me to sand down after.


I'm steadily making progress in epoxy coating all the raw wood everywhere, it is slow and tedious. One cool thing is that the epoxy changes the color of the wood so you can see progress.


Also I started to bond the scarf joints for the shear timbers and put on butt straps over the low angle stringer scarfs . Still lots to do, for now I'm just letting the epoxy cure.

No comments:

Post a Comment