I'm writing this blog as a journal of my build of a Duo-660 catamaran. Most of the content will be dedicated to this endeavor. I try to populate posts with pictures since it is instructive. The notes tab is for misfit posts. Always nice to have a place for the misfits.

-Esteban

Sunday, February 21, 2016

Picking Up Speed, Transom, And The Unexpected

I got to work on the boat both days this weekend which is unusual.  Today I shifted gears a bit and did without the gimp since the shape I needed was simple. I was working on the aft section (just forward of the transom). The way the chines were sitting I just needed to make them flat off the inboard edge. Since I was using the inboard edge as my guide, I just took a red marker to the chines so I could see my progress as it went (the gimp is there because I had it set up from yesterday, it was soon removed).

Here is a before picture of one of the chines with a piece of lumber laid transerse across the chines.


Here is the after picture


The chines were short work, the shears of course were much tougher. The fun part was that I chamfered down to the transom and like the way it looks. I also took the opportunity to clean up some epoxy runs on the transom to start trying to make it look pretty. Below is a picture of the transom as I left it (still some filling and sanding to do).


So now for the unexpected. I noticed at on the stringers there was a tiny bead of epoxy that settled along the bottom outboard edge of the stringer all along its length.  A picture would not help because I could barely see it in front of me. I could however feel it easily. So I sanded it off. Here is a picture showing the aftermath, you can see where it was because of the white stripe left by abraded epoxy.


I knocked out an entire section today and should be able to that again for the next section, since there is a relatively small amount of material to be removed. after that it will go slower. I want to start making the keel but need to work outside for that, and we are seeing steady rain in Seattle (surprise).  If I was smart I would get my plan and materials ready and be ready to strike if we get a sun-break or (do I dare) a dry day.

2 comments:

  1. The water exit has to be a "sharp" edge at the transom for a clear water release. So no chamfer here. This can cost till 2 knoths of speed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, thanks for the heads up Bernd! and thanks for keeping an eye on my build. I will fix my chamfer with planking and fill the gap with epoxy goop.
    -Esteban

    ReplyDelete