I'm writing this blog as a journal of my build of a Duo-660 catamaran. Most of the content will be dedicated to this endeavor. I try to populate posts with pictures since it is instructive. The notes tab is for misfit posts. Always nice to have a place for the misfits.

-Esteban

Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Garboard Installed

The weather cleared this afternoon, so I went outside did some extra cuts and got the garboard installed.  I used these tabs I saw on the Yikes blog, picture below.


They helped immensely, the main thing is that I could place the plank on the hull add one clamp at the bow then not worry about the plank falling off or moving around. In addition to cutting the relief a little deeper and at a slightly higher angle.  I sanded a bit of a chamfer on the inside edge near the transition joint.  The other thing I did was pre-drill holes in the plank only, to prevent the screw threads catching on the plank and pulling the plank away from the hull as they are tightened.  I used almost every clamp in the house to hold this down.


This is a luxury I won't have for the next garboard. So for the next one I will need to use more screws. Finally here is a picture of the other side. The plank seems to interface all the hull parts well and it is cool to see the plywood curve.


I still can't quite believe that this is done so I'm reserving any celebratory thinking until I get all the clamps and screws off and everything stays where it should.

No comments:

Post a Comment