I'm writing this blog as a journal of my build of a Duo-660 catamaran. Most of the content will be dedicated to this endeavor. I try to populate posts with pictures since it is instructive. The notes tab is for misfit posts. Always nice to have a place for the misfits.

-Esteban

Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Garboard Stayed Put and Trimmed

I still can hardly believe this is done. I trimmed the garboard, first with the Fein and then with the belt sander. So here are a couple of pictures showing progress.


This one shows the post-belt sander condition.



Last detail is the weirdness at the aft end of the plank. the keel has a small flat zone in between the buttstraps on either side. Using the track saw (without the track) I cut a straight line cut attempting to match the edge of this flat zone. The idea being that if I can do the same thing on the other side then the filler needed over this joint can extend both aft of BH3 and forward of BH3 by this much. See picture below.


This is kind of hard to explain in words but should become more clear as I do this and take pictures as I go.

I was so happy to do this I didn't do anything else today (except buy some new gloves in celebration).  Next trip out to the boat shed, I need to trim and sand the next butt strap and glue up the next big plank.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Esteban
    it's a bit hard to see what's happening, as you say but hey- it looks like you're really starting to get on top of this boatbuilding thing- congratulations
    regards
    Bryan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I know what you mean. It makes sense to me because I'm spending hours in the boat shed. This garboard thing has been interesting, I think it may be the most complex thing about the entire hull. BTW I found the root of my problem with the rudders and of course you were right. I will post the genesis of the mistake under rudders soon.
    -Esteban

    ReplyDelete