I'm writing this blog as a journal of my build of a Duo-660 catamaran. Most of the content will be dedicated to this endeavor. I try to populate posts with pictures since it is instructive. The notes tab is for misfit posts. Always nice to have a place for the misfits.

-Esteban

Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Garboard Isn't Going To Go Quietly

I got a little off my game today. The first problem was that the epoxy on the butt strap installed yesterday was not all the way cured (It's been cold and the heater in the shed just takes the edge off). So after trimming there wasn't much more to do with that. So I cut the reliefs for the butt strap on the opposite side. Still had some time. So I cut a garboard blank using the cut-off piece from the bow plank as the guide. Now I was getting excited, I've been thinking about this garboard plank more than I care to admit.  After much wrestling, fumbling, and gnashing of teeth, I got the thing situated and held in place with clamps. Here is the pic so you can see what I mean.


The plywood, while it takes the shape, really doesn't want to bend like this. I have some things to think about. Firstly the brad nailer is out classed by how hard this is to push into place.  So for these two planks it will be a glue and screw approach. I'm going to make a trip to the hardware store to find some screws with a large flat head. For the bow planks I just used some construction screws I had and the tapered head buried itself in the plywood. No big deal for the light loads on that plank, but that is not going to fly for the garboard. The other weird thing is how these are going to terminate at the keel. I think they will butt joint at the very end and then quickly open. Exactly how that transition will look is a little worrisome. That said I just can't keep thinking about this, I'm just going to try it and see how it comes out. I can always fill weird little pockets or shape things as needed with the belt sander.

Also of note is that my marine plywood, came in over length by 2.5 inches! I have never heard of such a thing. Of course I already had my butt straps aligned for an 8 foot length so I had to cut off a bit of my "free" plywood.  I tried to blame myself for this but I just cannot imagine verifying my plywood lengths as a thing to do.

Now my steps are all messed up. I spent all my time fooling around with the garboard and did not glue up the second butt strap. And to compound my problems, inexplicably, I cut what will actually be the second garboard to be installed. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day for well thought out progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment