I'm writing this blog as a journal of my build of a Duo-660 catamaran. Most of the content will be dedicated to this endeavor. I try to populate posts with pictures since it is instructive. The notes tab is for misfit posts. Always nice to have a place for the misfits.

-Esteban

Thursday, March 17, 2016

Planking Is Going To Take Time

I more or less recovered from my mess yesterday. I glued the butt strap and the third plank, also I cut the garboard blank for the other side. Here are the pictures of the third plank.
First the outside: I left it a full sheet because I figured I only risked cutting it too short by pre-trimming and stood to gain nothing by doing so.


Then the inside:


It lays on the frame well, although I think I made this harder than necessary . Mostly because my epoxy mixing cups are too small to make enough goop at one time. Then I start freaking out since I think I'm taking too long to get everything seated. In the end the outcome is likely the same or worse than if I would simply go about the steps that I know are needed, sans the freaking out.

So the anticipated slowdown has a few of causes. The first is that our nephew is visiting for about a week and a half. He is grown, but has never been to Seattle before so we will spend some time doing the tourist stuff around town. I'm happy for him to be here but it will detract from time in the boatshed. We will also be traveling to visit family for Easter the following weekend. The last and only embarrassing reason is that I did not buy enough 6mm plywood. I assumed better efficiency than I'm getting in the planking and I flat out did not account for how building up the keel and butt straps would add up.  The real delay here it the two coats of epoxy that need to cure.  If you add up all these various issues you can just hear the schedule expanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment