I'm writing this blog as a journal of my build of a Duo-660 catamaran. Most of the content will be dedicated to this endeavor. I try to populate posts with pictures since it is instructive. The notes tab is for misfit posts. Always nice to have a place for the misfits.

-Esteban

Monday, March 21, 2016

Math Skills Letting Me Down

So I took a few measurements from the boat and did a little bit of trigonometry as follows:


Basically I measured the height of the chine at station 96" from a level line taken from the lower edge of where the garboard begins at the bow. Then I calculated the implied angle (5.5 degrees). So if there were no round shapes to worry about that would be the straight line angle. Then I took that 5.5 degrees and calculated the straight line height at 48" where the transition joint is located. I got a height of 4 5/8 inches. The difference of 6 - 4.625 should be the depth of cut I need. It isn't.

My guess of a cut I did was about 2 inches deep and it clearly needs to be deeper. I'm going to spend a few more minutes on the math, and I do mean few. I will likely end up going trail and error, but to avoid drilling and re-drilling holes in the hull I will use an approach like I saw on another boat building blog. Link here: Yikes  (I'm slowly reading this blog, it is in my links section).  If this works then I can cut and try it out and recut and try again without inflicting any further damage to the hull.

No comments:

Post a Comment